• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend's life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Troubled

My live-in boyfriend of 4 years has me listed as his sole beneficiary on his life insurance (he is divorced and has a seven year old son). His mother recently found out about the policy and told me she would see to it that my boyrfriends son got that money, and not me. I would gladly split whatever he wanted to leave me with his son, but I do not want to battle over it.

My question is, can a life insurance policy be contested, and if so, being that I am not legal family, would it be best to change the beneficiary now to avoid turmoil for me later on in the event of his death?

ALawyer

Yes it can be contested -- but such contests are normally losers -- yet morally his son probably should also be a beneficiary -- would it make sense to name both of you equally? (The money going to a minor is held for the minor until he is an adult at 18.)

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">