• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executing a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmurs

Can you handle executing a will on your own or do you have to have a lawyer?
If you don't need a lawyer,please advise what the procedure would be to transfer property to the beneficiary's name. Can you if you have a power of attorney, close bank accounts? What about transferring mutual funds to beneficiary when account is joint.
What do we do about a car being transferred to beneficiary?
Everything is left to one person. Also, property has been gifted and already transferred to beneficiary. Do we just send a copy of death certificate to county clerk's office?

thank you

ALawyer

You are asking lots of questions.

Read the stuff on Wills and Probate and Estate Planning on FreeAdvice.com

The law does not require that a lawyer write or be there to sign a Will. But it helps make sure that the Will would do what you want, is tax efficient and is properly signed and witnessed and thus is valid.

A Power of Attorney lapses at the person's death. If there is no Will the state has a process for handling the estate and has named the beneificiaries the legislature thought most people would choose -- usually spouse and immediate family.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

J

jmurs

I guess I used the wrong terminoloy. I don't mean at the signing of a will. I meant after a person dies, do you need a lawyer to carry out the will.

Sorry

D

depeche

What state are you in and what is the total value of all assets that were held in the decedent's name at death?

J

jmurs

Hi,
I am in NY state. NYC. Assets would be about 325,000. There has been no death yet. She is terminally ill and close to death. We are trying to get info so we can havae things go smoothly at the time of death. We just want to know if we need a lawyer because of the changing of the deed to house and transfer of an old car. A vacation house has already been transferred.

Thank you for your reply

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">