• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate/Propery Tax Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aks_tn_6

What is the name of your state? TN

Thank you for taking my questions.

Part A -
During 2002, I sold a home and purchased a new one. Regarding sale of the old: I agreed to pay a portion of the buyer's closing costs. These have been reflected on the forms I received at closing, inclusive of $511 for one point, $53.40 in interest, and tax responsibility through the date before sale. Other than the documents provided at close, I have received no other 1098 forms, etc.

My questions:
1) may I deduct the $511 as a point I paid for the buyer?
2) may I deduct the reported interest?
3) how, if at all, may I claim credit, as the seller, for the taxes paid 1 Jan-date before sale reflected on the form?
4) And if permissible, how do I claim these on the itemized deduction form (Schedule A)?

Part B -
I have reviewed some tax guides as well that show a worksheet to determine percentages based on the dates of ownership of the property.

-Do I use the worksheet percentages or the actual figures I have from the closing forms?

Again, thank you kindly for taking my questions.

abezon

1. No, but you can include it in your closing costs & reduce your profit.
2. You can only deduct interest on your primary or secondary residence. Since the $53 is interest on the buyer's principle residence, you cannot deduct it.
3. Put them in the taxes section of Schedule A.
4. Ditto.
Bonus Question: Use the numbers from the closing documents if you closed before the second semi-annual payment was due. If you made one full payment & had to pay some taxes in the closing, deduct the 1/2 payment + the taxes listed in the settlement statement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">