• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate, lawyer??, suing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

conster14

my father past away almost a year ago. his will was simple and gave everything to my sister. it was not much he had life insurance that went to a beneficiary and his estate consisted of 1 1/2 acre of land. my sister hired an attorney who stated he charged 1200.00 to probate a will. she paid him the 1200.00. later she starts getting bills for more and more money where he is charging by the hour?? when approached he said he would never tell a client a set amount of money, but he did because i was there also. however, my sister did not get a contract with this man. to make matters worse, my dad had lived with a woman in his home for 19 months prior to his death. a month before he died they argued and she moved out. they were not married and did not claim to be married. they did share a checking account in both of their names. in that account was put 500.00 monthly by her and my dad's social security check. From that account my dad paid all of the bills, hers and his. she became very ill a few months after moving in and had to have heart surgery, her family refused to care for her and she did not wish to go to a nursing home. she had to stay a week in a nursing home after surgery till my dad could get the equipment she needed to take care of her at home. for doing this and taking her back and forth to the doctor she bought him a truck. she borrowed the money from her credit union and wrote a check for the truck 10,000.00. the truck title was in my dad's name and there was no lein on the truck. he did make payments on this loan out of their checking account. after my father's death the lady hired a lawyer who demanded that we pay her for the truck or give the truck to her. my dad had sold the truck before he died. the lawyer made my sister sell dad's land for 15,000.00 to pay for his attoroney fees, which now were around 4000.00. the lawyer now says the woman has sued the estate for 8300.00. this all has taken place in brazoria county texas.
my questions:
1. can this woman sue? she had her lawyer send my sister's lawyer a letter, but never filed against the estate, just waited till the property was sold and then sued.
2. is what my sister's lawyer doing ethical, he doesn't stay in touch with her or let her know what is going on. he has charged an enourmous amount for his legal fees for contacting the courts, writing letters to this lady's attorney and having a title company get the papers ready to sell dad's land.\
3. looks as though the two lawyers have really been in partnership together to make sure there is no money left at all for my sister. 4. the lawyer says this could go on and on forever and run up more and more attorney fees, which my sister will be acountable for. 5. can she fire him and would it do any good. 6. is there any chance this lady could really sue and win?

ALawyer

Most states have panels to arbitrate fee disputes with clients. That may make sense.

Can't tell you about the claim of the lady, but it is not without some possible merit.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">