• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax on disability insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zoodoo

I am in North Carolina. I was out on maternity leave this summer and recieved disability insurance. Social Security and medicare taxes were withheld, but not income taxes. My company gave me two separate W-2s, one for my regular income and one for disability. Do I have to claim my disability income when I file my taxes?

abezon

Probably. You have to pay taxes on disability pay when the premiums were paid by your employer or with pre-tax dollars. If you pay the premiums yourself (AFLACK), the money is tax free. If your disability pay was reported on a W-2, you almost certainly have to pay taxes on it, just as you would have to pay taxes on wages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">