• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

ValariR

My Grandmother is infirmed and at the present in a rehab center...she is due to be released the end of the week....the Dr. claims that she is unable to stay alone.....and her present caregiver is no longer available. She refuses to seek other help....disoriented on all things from whether she has eaten to taking medications.

She refuses to pay for a constant caregiver meaning 24-7 and is not capable to make decisions on her own for her well-being. My Father had been seeing in re-hab care she is receiving but lives 2 hours away. My question would be in two parts...legally what can be done for the well-being of my grandmother and can a Doctor claim her mentally incapable of attending to herself?????

ALawyer

This, unfortuantely, is a real problem faced by millions of families.

Check out the section of FreeAdvice.com on elder law under estate planning.

You could get a custodianship for her, or try to work something out with her. But if she is unwilling, a power of attorney won't help!

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

ALawyer

One more thought, many of the caregivers are very marginal, and arranging care 24 x 7 is a hard task. And I'll bet she, like most other older persons, does not want a "nursing home"

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">