• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he make me sell my car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dancin_mama23

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My husband is telling that I will have to sell my car even though he has a car. The car that I have is in my name. Will I have to sell my car and give him half the money. Thank you

T

Tomray

Girl, if you have a car and he has a car then you can agree to divide your property during a divorce. If he wants to play that game then he will have to sell his vehicle and give you half. The road goes both ways, don't let his laim threats keep you down. :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It depends. If it's considered marital property, then it's part of the settlement. Say he has a beater pick-up and you have a Lexus, and no other property to split. You're going to owe him roughly half of the value - you can sell it and give him half, or you can just give him the amount and keep the car.

If the two cars are roughly equivalent in value, then it's not much of an issue - unless you owe him for other property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">