• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital Deduction and Citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Carl Neumann

From information I received at a seminar and from what I read online and the IRS site, the unlimited marital deduction for estate transfers is unavailable to non-US citizens. But the Estate Tax Form instructions seem to talk about non-residents vs non-citizens. Are permanent, resident aliens excluded from using the unlimited marital deduction as implied by this information?

ALawyer

Yes. The theory is that H dies and leave everything to W, a non-resident / non-citizen. She then leaves for her country with the assets, and on her death nothing would be taxed, and Uncles Sam doesn't get his fair share.

However, using a Q-TIP Qualified Terminable Interest Trust you can get everything over tax free.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">