• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do we have to be involved?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sosborne

My mother-in-law passed away without a will. The brothers and sisters are insisting that they all get one lawyer and split the fee. We do not want to be involved at all. Is it possible for me to write up a document stating that my husband is gifting his portion to the other children (then take it to notory or hand to other children to take to their lawyer). Is there any reason at all that we have to get a lawyer? Can we just sit back and let them take care of it all? Any help would be appreciated.... we are scared to death that we are going to have to pay for something we don't even want... (from MIssouri)

ALawyer

Yes, you can formally "disclaim" any interest in the estate. Then your share goes to the others. I am sure their lawyer would prepare the disclaimer that the sttae requires for you, free to you.

But is there a reason to disclaim? The amount you'd get should far exceed the share of lawyer's fees. And most lawyers will wait to be paid from the assets in the estate. If there are claims against the estate, or someone claims she was promised more and sues, that's a different story.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

S

sosborne

Thank you very much for your prompt reply... we do not care about the monetary gain from the estate, we just want some baby pictures.... The rest of the family appears to have become money hungry and we wish to just stay out of it (trying to salvage family ties).. Thank you again for your reply and this wonderful service! You have made me feel "safer".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">