• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate settled in1995, but now Ohio has money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klop56

My Aunt died in Ohio in 1994. The estate was settled in 1995 - with the money going to relatives - nieces and nephews because she had no children. Now the state of Ohio has money in her name in the unclaimed funds. Will we need a lawyer to get this money? Does the lawyer have to be an Ohio lawyer? Can we get the original Ohio law firm and executor to get the money for us - without us having to pay them - after all, they should have found the money in 1995 when the estate was supposedly settled.
thanks for your assistance

C

Charley C

The money probably was turned over to the state because of escheat. Write the state and find out how to get it and how much it is.

No, the lawyers had no obligation to find the money 5 years ago -- if anything that was the executor's role -- and my guess is that it would cost you $2 for every $1 they collect, unless you are talking about more than $5-10,000.

W

Whaleman72

The easiest way to pursue your claim with the State is through the Executor. You will need the executor to sign the paperwork required by the State and you will likely need a death certificate and a certified copy of Letters Testamentary (the court document which authorized the executor to act on behalf of the estate).

My mom went through this process as executor of her mom's estate in NY.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by klop56:
My Aunt died in Ohio in 1994. The estate was settled in 1995 - with the money going to relatives - nieces and nephews because she had no children. Now the state of Ohio has money in her name in the unclaimed funds. Will we need a lawyer to get this money? Does the lawyer have to be an Ohio lawyer? Can we get the original Ohio law firm and executor to get the money for us - without us having to pay them - after all, they should have found the money in 1995 when the estate was supposedly settled.
thanks for your assistance
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">