• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ending a common law marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cabradbury

What is the name of your state? Washington

I started living with a man 10 years ago in Texas (which recognizes common law marriages). Five years ago, we moved to Seattle, Washington (a state in which you cannot establish a common law marriage but which recognizes common law marriages established in a state which does recognize them). (Confused yet?) About three years ago, we signed a form for the company I work for saying we established a common law marriage in Texas so that I could add him as a dependent to my medical/dental insurance. Several months ago, we ended our relationship and my company says they need a divorce decree in order to remove him as a dependent. My question is: must we obtain a normal divorce and, if so, do we file in Texas or Washington?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cabradbury said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

My question is: must we obtain a normal divorce and, if so, do we file in Texas or Washington?

=====================================

My response:

First of all, thank you for mentioning "Seattle" in your post. As you may, or may not know, Washington, D.C. is a common law District. So, for the future, should you decide to ask about this, or any subject, please distinguish your posts as being "Seattle, Washington" or "Washington State." That way, we'll know which "Washington" you're talking about.

As for your above questions, my answers are Yes, and you file in Washington State.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">