• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

post nuptual agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michie

What is the name of your state? virginia

My husbands family is asking me to sign a post nuptual agreement. We have been married for only 8 mths. His family owns a very successful business, his parents are in their 80's and my husband is the executor of his parents estate. I did not sign a prenup. His father told me that if I do not sign it then he may not leave my husband as the executor... we have no children together.

what should i do? what are my rights in all of this?
michie in virginia

VeronicaGia

Does your husband know his father is trying to force you to sign something against your will? Does your husband know that if you don't sign it, he will be disinherited? Does your father in law know that anything you sign will be under duress and only with the advice of an attorney of your choosing?

michie

yes my husband knows what is father is doing... and i have decided that i am not signing anything.... they should have thought about this before we got married and needless to say this is causing our marriage problems since my husband is not mad that his father is even asking me to sign it... they can both forget it!!!!

VeronicaGia

I hate to say it, but it sounds like your marriage is doomed. I wouldn't sign it either, not because I would want any of it, but because either he trusts me or he doesn't. He should have decided that before we married. That would be my stand anyway.

Too late, too bad, so sad. You may want to get out of this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">