• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pitstop

My mother passed away recently leaving a will naming me as executor, $40,000 in credit card debt and her "estate" consists of an auto worth what is owed on it and about $5,000. I want to purchase the car from the estate by paying off the auto loan. Do I have to go thru the expense of probate just to get the title to this auto in my name when there is not estate? Also, I am the beneficiary of a $5,000 life insurance policy she owned...are those proceeds mine or do they have to go into the estate?

[This message has been edited by Pitstop (edited March 05, 2000).]

ALawyer

The insurance proceeds are yours, and will be paid to you directly if you file the claim form.

The car usuaully can be handled using the state's procedure for simplified administration or probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">