• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Error made by solicitor on estate accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

L Jenkinson

My grandmother died last January and due to complicationsit has taken until March to receive any final estate accounts from the Will. These accounts have been signed by the beneficiaries, myself and my brother, and returned duly signed back to the solicitor in question on the 23rd February 2000. I have today recieved a telephone call from this solicitor informing me that he has made an error on the estate accounts and that we will not be recieving the original stated amount from the funds. my question is - does the solicitor have the right to reduce my inheritence after the documents have been signed? Is this misrepresentation and shoould the solicitor legally be paying the difference not the beneficiaries. I have signed documentation that had obviously been checked by the solicitor at the date of signing and feel that I am entitled to receive the amount I was quoted.

ALawyer

As you use the term solicitor, let me simply say if you are from Great Britian, I can't guess as I do not purport to understand British law or procedure.

If you are from the US, I have one question. What would you have done differently? Would you have objected to probate, and if so would there have been any basis for the objection? Was this a litigation and compromise and the amount promised a settlement?

If not, you are not entitled to get more than your share based on the estate's assets. If the lawyer made mistake in the caclulation you may be upset, but you'd generally would have to show you were harmed to recover anything more.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">