• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan 401K

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kidoday

What is the name of your state? MI

I took money from my 401K account to pay a house payment that has both of our names on the mortgage and a car payment that is solely in his name. I was informed by my stbx that this was illegal and I will have to pay him back half of this money. Is this true?

VeronicaGia

Is this 401K in your name only? Are you the only person contributing to it? Is this 401K being contested in a divorce or was any of it awarded to him in a divorce?

kidoday

Both of the 401K's were in our own names.

What is being contested in the divorce is that I should not have been allowed to take money from my 401K to pay the bills and he is entitled to half.

VeronicaGia

So you each had separate 401K's, one in your name, one in his?

If he persues this I'd ask that he be made to pay the money back to you that you can prove you paid on his behalf. And if there are two separate 401K's, one in each name, and he persists in asking for half of yours, then ask for half of his.

What a pain he's being. Does he want out or does he want to prolong this for months or even years?

kidoday

What a pain he's being. Does he want out or does he want to prolong this for months or even years?
You hit the nail on the head and I haven't even told half the story.

Thank you for your replies. I am asking for half of his 401K which is 385% greater than my 401K.

I thought this was a mute point, now I know. Thanks again.

VeronicaGia

Then tell him you won't touch his, and won't ask for the money back, if he leaves yours alone. It would get this divorce rolling, which would be my goal if I were you.

LOL!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">