• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney used on Behalf of and Elder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Marlo Richert

State: California
My mother is 87 with the first level of demensia. She has a living trust for all of her property and money in the names of her 3 children. She has given her grandson power of attorney to act in her behalf while she is alive. I do not feel that he is acting in her best interest with all of his decisions and with the use of her money. How can I request a copy of the power of attorney so that I can understand what his guidelines are. Also how can I get him to issue a monthy financial statement so that we can monitor what money he is taking in and paying out. I would also like to know if a power of attorney automatically covers her personal items or does it have to be documented in the power of attorney.

[This message has been edited by Marlo Richert (edited March 01, 2000).]

ALawyer

I'd have to see the trust and the power of attorney. And these are often private and not easy to get from the parties.

The living trust usually has a successor trustee take over on certain events, such as death, designation by the principal that a successor takes over, or when certain other triggering events occur.

I am not sure slightly diminished mental capacity is enough to get a court appointed conservator, but if you thimnk there has been abuse, read Elder Law on FreeAdvice.com and consult a lawyer from the links.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">