• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Patricia Reed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

patricia reed

What is the name of your state? California

Ending a 25 year common law marriage in Calif. do I get a divorce. I HAVE put much time, monies and raised his children(4) and my one CHILD in our relationship. We went around as Mr.& Mrs. all those years together...sharing same bank accounts etc. Now that I have a serious illous and 64 he wants to throw me out......He is now making the money. He wants to give me nothing...legally do I have a leg to stand on and CAN WE LEGALLY split a everything in the middle.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

patricia reed said:
What is the name of your state? California

Ending a 25 year common law marriage in Calif. do I get a divorce. I HAVE put much time, monies and raised his children(4) and my one CHILD in our relationship. We went around as Mr.& Mrs. all those years together...sharing same bank accounts etc. Now that I have a serious illous and 64 he wants to throw me out......He is now making the money. He wants to give me nothing...legally do I have a leg to stand on and CAN WE LEGALLY split a everything in the middle.

My response:

California is not a "common law" marriage State. You're not entitled to the marital protections otherwise afforded to married persons.

However, you may be able to make a "Marvin vs. Marvin" contract claim.

Talk to your local attorney about this as soon as possible.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">