• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attys' Fees Split?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SmokinPaul

Where one of the sole two beneficiaries(siblings) in a will is compelled to hire his own attorney (to administer the estate)due to a conflict of interest between the two, are the fees of each attorney combined and paid equally by the two beneficiaries out of the estate? In the instant case, the second attorney's hourly fee is considerably higher than the other sibling's attorney(who is co-administering the estate with the second attorney).

ALawyer

What is the state? And what does your lawyer say should be done?

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

S

SmokinPaul

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ALawyer:
What is the state? And what does your lawyer say should be done?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The state is Florida. It was my lawyer who assured me that in fact the fees are split equally. Although he works for a well known firm in Miami, I have not been pleased with his lack of communication with me, or his billing practices. As a recent (older) law school grad, this has been a rude and eye-opening introduction to the sort of lawyering on which thousands of jokes have been based. Hence my lack of confidence in his assurances. With the administration of the estate drawing to a close, I will know soon enough whether the fees are in fact split. I submitted my question so that I wouldn't be floored by the eventual outcome.

Are such probate legal fees paid equally by conflicted beneficiaries in your jurisdiction?
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">