• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selling property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

driggs

My father died in 1987. In his will he left 2 parcels of land to the three children. I have paid all property and school taxes each year. Neither of the other children is interested in the property. I would like to sell the land. The deed is still in my father's name. Can I just have it changed to my name or do I need to get approval from my brother and sister?

W

Whaleman72

It sounds to me like you may need to get court intervention on this one. How is the property currently titled? If it is just in dad's name alone, then you need to probate dad's will or, if he had no will, administer his estate. This will resolve ownership which you will need to do to sell the property. Many states will give you a document (a release of lien in NY) which tells purchasers of the property that all estate taxes (if any) have been paid. The title company of the future purchasers will want to see this.

If dad's estate has already been administered, then title to the property should have been resolved. Contact the attorney that handle the administration or the executor/administrator of the estate for answers to your questions.

If the property is owned by you and your two siblings, you will need to work out something with them concerning the sale of this property. Even if you have good intentions, you will be unable to sell this property if you only own 1/3 of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">