• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DMSCHREINER

I am 18 years old and I live in Colorado. Recently I was in a car accident and the cops
arrived shortly before I was taken to the hospital. I never spoke to a police officer until I was in the hospital and they had already searched my car. In searching my car they found
what they said was 1-8 ounces of marijuana and wrote me a ticket for a misdemeanor
offense possession. I was not under the influence and it was determined my the office that I was not under the influence. I realize that I was technically in possession of the drugs but the problem is that the marijuana was not mine. It was left in my car by a friend who told me
that she left it there after the fact. However, when I asked her how much marijuana was
there she told me that she wasn't sure, but less than an ounce. I don't know because I
never even saw the marijuana, and didn't even know where in my car it was located. My question is, do I have a legal right to ask that the
marijuana be weighed out in front of me for confirmation that the correct ticket was
issued. Also, what could I expect to happen upon my court date. Please help I am
confused and scared.

JETX

"I am 18 years old and I live in Colorado. Recently I was in a car accident and the cops arrived shortly before I was taken to the hospital. I never spoke to a police officer until I was in the hospital and they had already searched my car."
*** In the process of securing the vehicle, they are required to perform a cursory search (to protect both you and them against future claims of lost or stolen property).

"In searching my car they found
what they said was 1-8 ounces of marijuana and wrote me a ticket for a misdemeanor offense possession. I was not under the influence and it was determined my the office that I was not under the influence."
*** And from your post, you were not charged with DUI, only possession.

"I realize that I was technically in possession of the drugs but the problem is that the marijuana was not mine."
*** The fact that the vehicle was under your control, makes you responsible.

"It was left in my car by a friend who told me that she left it there after the fact."
*** Ah, now comes the REAL test of friendship. If your friend is willing to make a statement (to the police and prosecutor) that it was hers and that you had no knowledge of it, then the charges would likely be dropped against you. So, how good a 'friend' do you think this is.

"However, when I asked her how much marijuana was there she told me that she wasn't sure, but less than an ounce."
*** So you already know that there was marijuana there, the only question is the amount?? From your post and that this is a ticketable offense, I would assume that the penalties would be the same for either amount.

"My question is, do I have a legal right to ask that the marijuana be weighed out in front of me for confirmation that the correct ticket was issued."
*** No. Any challenge to the amount, etc. can be made at your trial.

"Also, what could I expect to happen upon my court date."
*** Charges read to you. Plea entered. Jury paneled. Trial begins. Evidence presented and crossed. Jury deliberation. Verdict read. If guilty, sentence read.

"Please help I am confused and scared."
*** Get an attorney if you want to mount a defense against the charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">