• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Validity of Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

helpus

My Father-in-law recently pasted away. His will has his first name mispelled throughout the entire will. Would this affect the validity of the will??

He had a previous Will written, but the second one voided the first one. If the second one were determined invalid, would that make the first one valid, or would the estate be treated as if there was no Will at all?? This is in the state of Iowa.

Thanks for the reply. Actually the mental capacity at the time of the change in his Will, is being questioned. How would this affect my second question.....how would it be treated, if it were determined that he was not of sound mind? No Will, or the previous Will? Thanks
[This message has been edited by helpus (edited March 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by helpus (edited March 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by helpus (edited March 12, 2000).]

ALawyer

A spelling error would NOT invalidate the Will. It just might give someone who was challanging it a colorable basis to suggest that he did not read it or sign it, or was not mentally competent when he did, but if no one is objecting, and he was of sound mind, don't worry about it.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">