• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2003 Estimated Tax & Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jalabee

What is the name of your state? CA

I am self-employed and am now preparing my 2003 1040ES. I am using my total 2002 tax as a guideline to avoid any penalties. However, I am getting married this year and would like to know the impact in relation to my quarterly payments.

My [future] husband is not self-employed and has taxes withheld by his employer.

If we file jointly, do I have to ammend the 1040ES payments in any way? Or should file separately and keep the current quarterlies?

On a similar thought, is there any tax advantage or drawback to filing separately as compared to jointly?

Thanks in advance.

abezon

Filing separately is bad, but then, so is getting married in the first place when both spouses work.

Marriage or divorce is a good reason for a wiaver of penalties for underpayment of taxes, so you probably don't need to change anything. You might even be able to pay less if your spouse is overpaying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">