• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Obligation requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mikejf

My father had passed away in Jan in a Maryland nursing home, and my mother had died several years ago. During my father's stay in the nursing home , as power of attorney, I had been spending down his assets which were minimal, to qualified for the State of Maryland Medicaid qualifications which are assets below $2500. During the month of Jan I had paid down his bills including December's total nursing home care cost of $4200, and his Jan portion, expecting he would qualify for assistance. However, assets are only counted at the beginning of each month and are not retroactive for the current month.
The issue is, during the month of Jan my father's bills beside the nursing home cost, were $4000 of prescription bills which I was not aware of and other doctor bills. I had been paying off bills as they have arrived , with his total tangible assets amounting to only $350 dollars now and debts about $8,000. Now I have received a letter from the nursing requesting that I pay his total bills. When I admitted him, I specifically signed the nursing home agreement (contract) that I would not be held responsible for his debt This would have been more of issue if he had lived until Feb, but since that is not he case, am I obligated for any expenses beyond what was in his joint bank account. I have kept all bills and canceled checks to show proof that all his assets went to his well being.

ALawyer

Unless you agreed to be bound, you are not. If he had no assets, they are stuck, absent something else I am missing.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">