• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

someone please help !!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cjskids

I am totally lost so if someone could give even a little advice, it would be very appreciated!!! My mother and birth father divorced before I knew any better and my mother re-married. I have just been informed that there was supposed to be a trust fund set up for me by my paternal grandfather before he past away. My mother denies knowledge of the whole thing (eventhough I have overheard her talking about it several times throughout my life). My question is ... how do I find out if this exists or ever existed? Would it have been possible for my mother to get the money when I was a minor for support or something? I have just found this family and am not comfortable enough to ask them if they have money for me! My mother has lied about many things and I'm wondering if lying about the existence of a trust fund is her way of covering up the fact that she got the money herself. What do I do now? Or better yet, where do I even start?? Thank you!!!

W

Whaleman72

You may want to check with the Surrogate's Court to see if your grandfather had a will which was probated. Often times these trusts are set up through a Will (called a testamentary trust). A trust does not have to be filed, but a Will becomes public record and there may be mention of the trust, if it exissts, in your grandfather's will. Try the Surrogate's Court in the town/county where your grandfather last resided.

Also, if there was ever a dispute over the trust, it may be that an accounting was file or a legal proceeding was held. Check the Court records for this.

Otherwise, you will need to resort to asking your family members which I understand is awkward for you at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">