• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Considered Unmarried?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Schutzie76

What is the name of your state? PA
i was married in PA in 2000. March 2002, i left for job training which lasted until the end of August. Wife decided to leave me while in training approximately in July. She officially filed papers in August. The divorce has not been finalized as of yet and there was no official seperation agreement. Does job training count as not living together for the six month requirement or is it a temporary absence? Can she file head of household? If she can and does, what do I have to file as? Does the fact that I moved to MD after training in August affect anything? Does the fact that we had agreed to both move to MD as a family when I left for training change anything? I have looked in every pub and still am confused about the temporary absence thing.

abezon

If she had kids living with her AND she paid more than 1/2 the cost of keeping up her home (whatever she contributed while you were also paying + her expenses after moving out with the kids), she can file HH. If she files HH, you have to file MFS, *but* you can itemize and take all the itemized deductions. You can also file jointly.

If there are no kids, neither of you can file HH. Your options are MFS & MFJ. If you file MFS, & one of you itemizes, the other must itemize.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">