• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this something that is legal to do? IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

VLD

I am working as a contractor for a company that I have a financial stake in, we bill at $100.00/hour.

Sometimes I am the consultant on site and I only pay myself $6.00/hour.

The remaining money stays with my company and also goes to pay another employee as well.

Will the IRS have an issue with my only paying my self $6/hour while my own company pulls in much more?

The reasons behind this is the company will only have to pay out 15% taxes on the revenue and I am able to keep my income low enough to also keep me elidgable for unemployment benefits because I am only billing about 60 Hours a month. (far below the state limit)

abezon

No, that's not legal. The IRS frowns on people who pay themselves a low wage & leave profits in the company to avoid self-employment taxes. If your wages are low, the IRS can declare all the profits self-employment income.

You're probably also violating your state's unemployment eligibility laws. If they catch you, they will make you pay all that money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">