• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter's Entitlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KyMom

My daughter's estranged father passed away less than a year ago. I'd like to know if wills are public record in the state of Kentucky. If there wasn't a will, what would be my daughter's share of his estate? I'm sure there are other relevant questions I've conveniently omitted, so feel free to make any/all necessary suggestions.
Thank you

W

Whaleman72

I do not know Kentucky law, however, a probated will is always public record as far as I know. Absent a Will, a state's intestacy laws govern and usually children are provided for in some fashion.

For example, in NY, the surviving spouse is entitled to the first $50,000 and splits the remaining assets 1/2 to the surviving spouse and 1/2 to the surviving children.

Check with the local probate/surrogates court where the deceased resided to see if a will and/or probate application has been filed.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">