• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got the shaft, now want to find out by how much!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lingil

Somebody please tell me if the following charges are appropriate on an estate worth $117,000 with a simple will. My disbarred and former jailbird brother-in-law handled the legalities of probating the estate and sister (his wife) was the excutrix:

"Professional Services, including legal filing for probate, Financial Accounting, Interim tax returns, preparation of contracts for failed sale, preparation of lease for house and options to purchase to tenant, negotiation with attorney for buyer, preparation of deed and closing of title (62 hours @$40/hour) - $2,480.00

Statutory fees to Executrix - $5,711.

I've already been cheated out of $10,000 of the estate by being charged outrageous over-inflated amounts for furnishings that I did take out of my parent's house, now I want to see if I bought the mine on the legal fees charged as well. Someone please respond and let me know if the charges were reasonable.
Thank you.

D

depeche

Are those "professional fees" by an attorney? $40/hour is extremely cheap. However, the hours should be itemized. Asa for as the statutory executor fees, check the state code. Some states don't have statutory fees, but are typically hourly instead. Overall, though, the fees look very reasonable. Probate is usually a costly experience.

L

lingil

Thank you for getting back so soon. I'm glad you thought it was very reasonable - it at least takes the sting out of the rest of the dirty dealings that went out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">