• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intestate.Procedure & can I afford the legal fees ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clarke

My partners brother has just died leaving one sister,one brother and a common law wife. My partner wishes certain family belongings which are of no great monetary value. The common law wife objects.
I understand that as next of kin, my partner is entitled but to involve solicitors I fear will create unescassary legal bills.
What is the legal procedure and can we action most of this ouselves ?

ALawyer

It seems as if you are not in the US from your use of the British term "solicitor" and I have no idea about non-US matters. But if it does involve the US, and there is no Will or trust, and the property is not in joint name, it passes to the family, not the "common law" unless the common law is a legal spouse -- and she may have become one depending on the state and the facts and circumstances. Ask a lawyer locally (where the decesed lived) what it would cost and then decide if it is worth the fight.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">