• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Share stock and mutual funds with spouse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Trickie53P

I am coming into some money as a result of a w/comp settlement. I do not want my husband to have free rein over the funds without my permission. He has a bad track record where monies are concerned. How can I word the verbage without giving him exclusive power without my knowledge? We are having problems. He talks about stocks, mutual funds and a trip to Vegas for fun. He wants to tie up all the funds. I must use funds to take care of my medical needs for I have a knee injury resulting in complex regional pain syndrome (old name RSD) No cure just pain to any stemuli, affecting the neuro paths. No cure. This money will not be able to take care of me till retirement of 66, so I must invest it wisely and be frugle. I don't want hubby to control these funds, please help and I thank you in advance!I will be getting funds soon and I want to protect myself in any way. Thanks, Dee

W

Whaleman72

The money is yours. Keep the money out of the hands of your husband by keeping it in an account under your name alone. Do not give your husband a power of attorney which would give him the ability to access your accounts. Good luck.

T

TRICKLIE [email protected]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trickie53P:
I am coming into some money as a result of a w/comp settlement. I do not want my husband to have free rein over the funds without my permission. He has a bad track record where monies are concerned. How can I word the verbage without giving him exclusive power without my knowledge? We are having problems. He talks about stocks, mutual funds and a trip to Vegas for fun. He wants to tie up all the funds. I must use funds to take care of my medical needs for I have a knee injury resulting in complex regional pain syndrome (old name RSD) No cure just pain to any stemuli, affecting the neuro paths. No cure. This money will not be able to take care of me till retirement of 66, so I must invest it wisely and be frugle. I don't want hubby to control these funds, please help and I thank you in advance!I will be getting funds soon and I want to protect myself in any way. Thanks, Dee <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">