• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do they have to tell you they are the police?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

poser28366

What is the name of your state? Arizona
In the movie blow one of the characters asked the others if they were police or agents. He said, " you have to tell me if you are otherwise that is entrapment." I was just wondering if that is true or not?

D

DRN

However, they do have to identify themselves as police officers as they break down your front door. They usually do it somewhere between the splintering of the door and when they put the cuffs on.

The Supreme Court didn't specify exactly when in the process they need to say it.

Son of Slam

JETX said:
Nope. Hollywood fantasy.
Nope. Not just "Hollywood fantasy". People DO ask, "Are you a cop?" People DO think that a bust is not good if an officer lies to them about it.

Where is it NOT department policy to demand that an officer ID himself as such, when in an emergency, someone yells "Help, police!"? I think this is where that "urban legion" comes from.

Bravo8

Spam, you lost me on that last one. Correct, people do believe that stuff (hell....they believe what they see on CNN, too) but the contention that the police must ID themselves when asked is "Hollywood Fantasy". Your post isn't very clear.

I don't know much about Urban "Legions", but the above is somewhat of an urban LEGEND. FWIW, I have no legal obligation to identify mysef when someone yells "Help, Police!" I have no obligation when I am off-duty, until I get involved. Once involved, then all sorts of legal issues come into play.

On duty, I do have a duty to respond if I have knowledge of a situation requiring a response to protect someone's life. I cannot just walk away. But then......I am in a uniformed patrol capacity. Working UC is a different story.

JETX

Bravo8:
With all due respect, I take exception to your statement, "I have no obligation when I am off-duty, until I get involved."

I don't know if it is a 'regional' thing, but I can tell you that EVERY LEO (city, county, state) is a police officer sworn to uphold the law, 24/7. That means that if an officer witnesses a crime, even while off-duty, he is obligated by departmental policy to take appropriate action. I can cite numerous cases where an off-duty officer walks in on a crime in progress and took action appropriate to the circumstances. And even a few where an off-duty officer got reprimanded for NOT doing the same.

Son of Slam

Bravo8 said:
FWIW, I have no legal obligation to identify mysef when someone yells "Help, Police!" I have no obligation when I am off-duty, until I get involved.
That's what I'm talking about. Around where I live you're obligated at all times to help and assist. I know officers that don't spend a night in a strange, small town, without checking in with the PD in case they may be of assistance while they are there.

ccarter

I'm thinking it might hinder some undercover work if you are trying to bust a drug dealer and you TELL him you are a cop! Come on!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">