• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lean against a Trust Fund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

steve_iron

What is the name of your state? Ohio
She is refusing to pay a credit card dept that is in both of our names. The divorce decree states that she is to pay the balance. They are now coming after me. I have just filed contempt charges against my ex for her failure to pay and adding debt to the account. She has two trust funds. One she has access to and another one she will get in three years.
Is it possibe for me to put a lean against her trust fund?

VeronicaGia

First off, it's a lien, not lean. Secondly, while your divorce decree states she is responsible for the debt, and you can of course file contempt charges against her for not paying it, realize that you both signed a contract with the credit card company, which means you are jointly and seperately liable for the bill. A divorce decree does not override a contract.

I do not know the answer to your question regarding whether or not you can place a lien on a trust fund. First you would have to sue her, then you would have to win that suit along with a judgement. Then you would look to place lien's on property or other assets. Whether or not you can place a lien on a trust fund, I do not know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">