• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Divorced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

magicdover

What is the name of your state? CA
In sep '92 I was working temporarily in NC. I found out it was fairl y simple to divorce in that state. So I got an attorney told him I was a resident ( I was a resident of CA). My wife was living in CO at the time. I was asked for her wherabouts so she may be served. I told him I didn't know (I did). He then suggested we run a public notice in the local paper in NC to announce my seeking the divorce. After the notice ran a few days, I went to court and was granted a divorce. My wife was totally unaware of any of this. The divorce also has her name spelled incorrectly and makes no mention of custody of our son. 2 years later we moved back together and have been together ever since. We never re-married eachother. Are we still married? Is this an invalid divorce?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

magicdover said:
What is the name of your state? CA
In sep '92 I was working temporarily in NC. I found out it was fairl y simple to divorce in that state. So I got an attorney told him I was a resident ( I was a resident of CA). My wife was living in CO at the time. I was asked for her wherabouts so she may be served. I told him I didn't know (I did). He then suggested we run a public notice in the local paper in NC to announce my seeking the divorce. After the notice ran a few days, I went to court and was granted a divorce. My wife was totally unaware of any of this. The divorce also has her name spelled incorrectly and makes no mention of custody of our son. 2 years later we moved back together and have been together ever since. We never re-married eachother. Are we still married? Is this an invalid divorce?

========================================

My response:

On paper, there is a divorce. However, if it can be proven that a fraud had been committed on the court, then the "divorce" can be invalidated on fraud grounds. The person committing the fraud may be looking a criminal charges for perjury and fraud.

Good luck - - one of you is going to need it.

IAAL

M

magicdover

Does the name being mispelled mean I divorce the wrong person?

nailtech

He means the lack of residency requirements in the state where you received your divorce was done by fraud...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">