• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ancillary probate in Portsmouth, RI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dvknight

My husband has inherited two parcels of land from his great aunt. One parcel is located in RI, the other in Massachusetts. His aunt resided in Massachusetts. She had a WILL. She willed additional properties to other relatives.
Does each individual inheritor have to go through a separate probate?
The aunt's attorney had prepared Affidavits of family facts, but the present, Rhode Island attorney warns that Title attorney may not accept the Affidavits, thus requiring further probates.
Should my husband maintain the relationship with his aunt's attorney, or start over again with this new attorney?

ALawyer

With real estate, unfortunately, it is usually necessary to go through ancillary probate in each state in which any real property is located. (That's why holding such property in a living trust often makes sense.)

That is one ancillary probate per state, not per property. Many lawyers in New England are admitted in multiple states, and if so the lawyer with an office in Mass can do the probate for you on the RI property, and there may be some savings as she has the file ready. If not you'd need a RI licensed lawyer for the real property in that state. The lawyer may refer you or check out AttorneyPages.com.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">