• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

warhorse5

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband and I have been experiencing up & downs for a time now...he has been abusive in the past. I am the main money winner in the family, and decided this year for my birthday to take a 2 day mini vacation by myself....while I was away...my son called to tell me my husband moved out. There has been no messages or notes or phone calls. He told my son he is never coming back. I cut my vacation short to come home to find that he only took the most expensive CD burner, DVD player and his clothers and our truck.

The house is in both of our names as is everything else the truck, my car, our accounts....he stopped his direct deposit so as get his last pay check and he has quit his job. I have no idea where he is and he threatened my son, that if i make a move to have him removed from the house deed, he would call my job and make up lies and make my life a living hell......what am i do?

I called the Bank where we have our loans and I can not remove myself from the Truck...the House is under The VHDA loan authority...can't sell or rent it without a tax penalty. He thinks I will continue to pay and keep his credit going while he rides free.

If this fair? What do I do? I make 40,000 a year and he only ever made 18,000 a year. I have always asked that he help more but he felt that was my problem, not his. I now have to pay the insurance also while he rides once again FREE. I need help fast. I am at a lost, can someone please direct me in the correct way. I have little money to pay bills that are due now and he knows I can not afford an attorney out right. Please advise!

S

stargazer5050

Protect Yourself

I'm going thru the same situation except I know where my husband is.....however, no money, took everything. Check with the Legal Aide Society in your area and get help. Your husband is worthless (my opinion)....an albatross around your neck, as was mine. Be glad he's gone and just take care of you and your son because he's really going to need you now more than ever since your great husband used him as an instrument in all this. He'll be hard to find but his money will eventually run out and he'll surface. Call your creditors and explain the situation and see if you can get your payments reduced and the interest lowered temporarily or possibly a 3-month reprieve....some creditors can be very helpful. Change bank accounts......but don't close your current account. Keep enough in it to keep it open. Call the tele co. and put a password on your account. I'd do this to the utilities also. Tell them the situation and that you're afraid he'll have them cut off. Also tell them the password protection is to keep anyone but yourself from making any changes. But most important....don't put the little money you have at risk by leaving it where he has access. If you have Visa, M/C, etc., call them and report the cards stolen if he has them with him or access to the cc number. Get the companies to reissue you new ones in your name only., because when his money runs out, the credit cards are next and the cc companies will come after you if he can't be found. Hopefully, one of the legal eagles at this site will give you more pertinent advice, but for now, protect yourself and DON"T TAKE HIM BACK!!!!!! I hope this helps some. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">