• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do they have the right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

arnea550

What is the name of your state? nc
I went out to my car two days ago to find a parking warning that said if I dont move my car within three days it will be towed for a expired inspection sticker and broken windshield. I got a new inspection sticker but cant get a new windshield for another couple of days. Can they really tow my car for that? There isnt a hole in my windshield, its just cracked and also this is the apartment complex where I live.

JETX

Since this is the apartment property, they can make any reasonable rule that they want and enforce it. In this case, they don't want a bunch of wrecked, non-working cars on premises. That is a perfectly valid requirement... that the vehicle be operable (and movable periodically).

"Can they really tow my car for that?'
*** Yes.

A

arnea550

Reply to can they do that

I park my car in the same parking spaces everyday, the car isnt wrecked or not working, i drive it everyday. There is a small crack in the windshield and I already took care of the inspection sticker. I would agree if my car did not work or was in the same space for a long period of time or if the windshield was knocked out but that isnt the case,its just a crack. So would you still feel the same way about the situation?

JETX

Your later post certainly put a different 'spin' on this one, didn't it??? And it is likely that you don't even have a problem anymore.

From your initial post, you were noticed of possible tow due to TWO things.

I would assume the worst is the lack of inspection sticker, which further implies that the car is not drivable.... or needs mechanical work.

The apartment certainly has the right (and some would say, obligation) to prohibit leaving 'abandoned wrecks' on their property (and the lack of inspection stickers is one possible indicator of such).

Since you have now taken care of the inspection sticker issue, does management say you are still subject to towing?? And if so, why??

A

arnea550

apartment manager

I tried to speak with the apartment manager today but she was out of the office and the assistant told me I would have to speak with her about the situation. She will be in tomorrow and I guess I will find out what she has to say then. Hopefully there is no longer a problem. Thank you very much for your advice.

A

arnea550

I didnt have to move my car. Come to find out, she was only concerned with and cars that didnt work or have expired tags or inspection stickers so i'm in the clear. Thank you for asking though and thank you for all the advice everyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">