• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need quick help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbever

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I made a mistake on my tax return. I am divorced and have 4 children. My ex and I split the kids for the deduction. I accidentally claimed all of them. I put all of them on the form but only 2 lived with me thinking it would automatically only take 2 but list all four... boy was I wrong! Now I have my refund back but I need to redo the taxes to not claim 2 of the kids. Any help would be SO appreciated. I'm not sure what I need to do to resubmit them.

Thank you...

abezon

File a 1040X with the other 2 kids removed & pay any tax due by 4/15/2003. You should probably have a professional do the 1040X for you, as it's quite nasty.

sbever

Thank you for the quick response. I'm a single parent with limited income. Is it possible to use the taxcut I used to prepare the taxes the first time to do the 1040X? I've done my taxes using tax prep software for the past 7 years or so.

Again, Thank you so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">