• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is liable for loan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cleocat38

What is the name of your state? WI

I am filing for a divorce. My husband took out a loan when we first got married to buy his truck. His mother is the co-signer on this loan. My name is not on this loan, but my car is used for collateral on this loan. Am I responsible to pay the monthly payments on this loan if he is not working and has no income at all after we are separated? :confused:

JETX

"Am I responsible to pay the monthly payments on this loan if he is not working and has no income at all after we are separated?"
*** Since Wisconsin is a community property state, both parties are equally liable for a debt incurred during the marriage. Therefore, the answer is yes.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cleocat38 said:
What is the name of your state? WI

I am filing for a divorce. My husband took out a loan when we first got married to buy his truck. His mother is the co-signer on this loan. My name is not on this loan, but my car is used for collateral on this loan. Am I responsible to pay the monthly payments on this loan if he is not working and has no income at all after we are separated? :confused:

My response:

Let me answer your question with a question.

Do you know what the word "collateral" means?

If you do, then you'll have your answer.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">