• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going through a bad breakup :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Penguinwise

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I had been dating a girl for the past year and a half and this girl was living with me. I have decided to end the relationship and I wish for her to move out. The problem comes to rest that I had co-signed on an automobile loan with her. I have made the request for her to re-finance this car to soley her name, and some action has been taken on this. She has already received approval and the paperwork has been shipped to her. The problem starts here. She is now using this auto-refinancing as a bargaining tool and is basically black mailing me. She is stating that she will not sign the papers until she is moved into her new house. She is also claiming that even then it will not be completely out of my name until she calls the re-financing company to confirm the removal of my name. She is stating that if I do one thing that she considers out of line, she will cancel the complete refinancing and leave me with the vehicle and its payment.

I am wondering what rights do I have to get this vehicle out of my name? Another point to add is that I had given her the money to complete the refinancing. I have a recording that states clearly that the money that I had given her was for this re-financing out of my name, and she clearly agrees to this. (for legal purposes, yes she did know that she was being logged, and I do have proof ofthat as well). Also for further consideration, she has also stated that the re-financing company has already taken the money that I had given her, and all she needs to do is sign the papers. I have given her notice of 30 days to also move out of my house.

Is there anything I can do, Or I am I at her mercy?

B

Boxcarbill

Penguinwise said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

I had been dating a girl for the past year and a half and this girl was living with me. I have decided to end the relationship and I wish for her to move out. The problem comes to rest that I had co-signed on an automobile loan with her. I have made the request for her to re-finance this car to soley her name, and some action has been taken on this. She has already received approval and the paperwork has been shipped to her. The problem starts here. She is now using this auto-refinancing as a bargaining tool and is basically black mailing me. She is stating that she will not sign the papers until she is moved into her new house. She is also claiming that even then it will not be completely out of my name until she calls the re-financing company to confirm the removal of my name. She is stating that if I do one thing that she considers out of line, she will cancel the complete refinancing and leave me with the vehicle and its payment.

I am wondering what rights do I have to get this vehicle out of my name? Another point to add is that I had given her the money to complete the refinancing. I have a recording that states clearly that the money that I had given her was for this re-financing out of my name, and she clearly agrees to this. (for legal purposes, yes she did know that she was being logged, and I do have proof ofthat as well). Also for further consideration, she has also stated that the re-financing company has already taken the money that I had given her, and all she needs to do is sign the papers. I have given her notice of 30 days to also move out of my house.

Is there anything I can do, Or I am I at her mercy?

Yes, you can tell her to forget the blackmail. That you will file suit against her in small claim court for breach of contract for recovery of the money if she does not carry through with her end of the agreement to re-finance the car.

P

Penguinwise

Thanks

Thanks for the answer,, but that still leaves her an open door. The refinancing was only approx 300$. She could pay back this fee, and still leave me with the 300$ a month car payment. I am wondering if there is any concrete way to get this out of my hair for good. Thanks!

B

Boxcarbill

Re: Thanks

Penguinwise said:
Thanks for the answer,, but that still leaves her an open door. The refinancing was only approx 300$. She could pay back this fee, and still leave me with the 300$ a month car payment. I am wondering if there is any concrete way to get this out of my hair for good. Thanks!
Look the bottom line is that you both are currently joint and severally liable for the loan. That means that the creditor can look to either of you for payment and if they don't receive payment, they will turn in a negative credit report on both of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">