• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce and small business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

ksquared

What is the name of your state? California
My husband and I have a small business as husband & wife.
I want a divorce. If I submit a statement of withdrawal from partnership operating under a fictitious business name will I still be part responsible for the business because we are still married?
I do not agree with his operation of this business and I do not want to be responsible for anything he does.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ksquared said:
What is the name of your state? California
My husband and I have a small business as husband & wife.
I want a divorce. If I submit a statement of withdrawal from partnership operating under a fictitious business name will I still be part responsible for the business because we are still married?
I do not agree with his operation of this business and I do not want to be responsible for anything he does.

My response:

Since the business is not a corporate entity, you'll be personally on the hook for any liabilities incurred by the business vis-a-vis your husband.

At the very least, if you want to cut your losses, and separate yourself from how he runs the business, you need to file for a "legal separation" or, at worst, a "dissolution" of your marriage.

Remember, California is a community property State. So, whatever he does, reflects upon you, and your shared community liabilities.

IAAL

K

ksquared

Thank you for your advice. It is what I thought it would be.
It looks like I must take legal action to protect myself.
Thank you again!

ksquared

p.s. I always knew I am always liable I just want to be liable for myself!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">