• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Write-offs for Commercial Class "A" Drivers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DJSLonestar

I am living in California. I am a Commercial Class "A" Truck Driver. I understand that I am eligible for $40.00 per day write-offs on my taxes. Is this true, and what do I do or need to be eligible for this write off and collect it.

abezon

You are allowed to claim employment expenses as an itemized deduction (as is everyone else). These are claimed on Sch.A and Form 2106. On form 2106, you can take a "per diem" meals & incidental expenses deduction. There are a number of methods you can use: actual $ spent on meals, transportation worker rate ($38/day away from home), and per diem based on what cities you're in each day (very tedious calculation but usually yields a higher deduction than $38/day). From this amount, you must subtract any per diem allowance your employer provides that is not included in your wages (box 1 of W-2). The net is multiplied by 65%. You must be away from home overnight to claim any meal deductions for that day.

Once you figure your 2106, you carry the total to Sch.A, where it is reduced by 2% of your AGI to determine your allowed dedduction. If your total itemized deductions > your standard deduction, you itemize. If not, you just wasted a lot of time figuring out all your expenses.

Other employment expenses include: union dues, tools & equipment bought for work, work-related classes & books, phone calls home while on the road, work-related cell phone calls, travel expenses, showers, toiletries, etc. Any expense under $75 (except hotels) does not need a receipt, but you do need to be able to substantiate the date, place, & business relationship of the expense.

D

DJSLonestar

Expense Write-offs

Thanks very much for the information on truckers write offs. One more question can I take the standard write-off of $38.00 on some days and other days itemize because they were greater???

ccarter

I don't know if this will help or not, but when my husband drove over the road and it came tax time, we just took all his logs and receipts to the accountant and she figured it all out.

abezon

Re: Expense Write-offs

DJSLonestar said:
Thanks very much for the information on truckers write offs. One more question can I take the standard write-off of $38.00 on some days and other days itemize because they were greater???
No, you have to use the same substantiation method throughout the year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">