• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Valid Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MARRIED?

What is the name of your state? WISCONSIN
I recently got married in the state of Wisconsin in December 2002. I am a resident of Illinois. My wife is a wisconsin resident. My divorce to my ex-wife was final in October 2002. We did not wait the 6 month waiting period. Is our marriage valid?

Which states' law are you concerned about - - Illinois or Wisconsin? Whom are you concerned about having violated a law - - you or your current wife? Was your divorce finalized in Illinois or Wisconsin? Answer all questions.

I am concerned about Wisconsin Law. She had no idea what was going on so I guess I violated the law. My divorce was finalized in Illinois, and the decree did not state anything about a waiting period for me to remarry. We haveboth assumed a husband and wife role and we want to make sure the marriage is valid.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MARRIED? said:
What is the name of your state? WISCONSIN
I recently got married in the state of Wisconsin in December 2002. I am a resident of Illinois. My wife is a wisconsin resident. My divorce to my ex-wife was final in October 2002. We did not wait the 6 month waiting period. Is our marriage valid?

My response:

Which states' law are you concerned about - - Illinois or Wisconsin? Whom are you concerned about having violated a law - - you or your current wife? Was your divorce finalized in Illinois or Wisconsin? Answer all questions.

IAAL

Whyte Noise

This is from the marriage license rules for Wisconsin:

"If Previously Married: You must show proof of divorce, death or annulment from your most recent marriage. You need to wait six months after a divorce before getting remarried. Copy of judgment of divorce, legal annulment or death certificate from most recent marriage."

Were you asked if you were married before when you applied for your license? If so, did you answer yes, or no? (might seem like a stupid question, but some people do answer 'no' on this when they should answer 'yes'.) Did you show the clerk your divorce decree as proof that your prior marriage was dissolved? Did they even ask?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">