• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elizabeth Smart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state? disbelief

Was found alive & well in Salt Lake City. O.M.G.

C

cris24

MSNBC says it was Sandy, UT. This is all anyone is talking about here at work. Unbelievable! Now if only they would find Laci Peterson!

C

cris24

Who, Laci?
Maybe she did, maybe she wanted to get away from her cheating husband. But it seems like her family is close, you would think she would have said something to them.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No, Elizabeth Smart. Lots of unanswered questions there.

Laci Peterson is dead, IMO, and her husband did it.

C

cris24

I agree about Laci.

I can't even begin to imagine what Elizabeth Smart has gone through. I think she must have gone willingly because no one heard a commotion. I don't know what she possible could have been told to make her go willingly in the middle of the night.

I can't wait until she says where she's been and what has been happening to her! I can't believe they found her in Utah so close to home.

nailtech

The smart family should count their blessings, most kids are not found alive... but something is just not right here, anyone who was kidnapped would spend every waking moment trying to get away from their kidnapper. why she didnt call for help or phone someone she had to have seen the news reports about her disappearance... time will tell the truth,.... I'm thinking it was her way of running away... from what or who, will come out in time...

as far as Lacy, I have my own theories,..... I think the husband either had the baby removed and sold the child and killed the wife, or someone kidnapped lacy for the child... but somehow I feel the husband had something to do with it... some people will do anything for a baby... well that's my opinion...

Last edited:
C

cyana

I agree ...

Something's not right about the Elizabeth Smart story... to be found that close to home... a strong and healthy 15 year old, who should have trying to escape. Now, it would be different if she were found drugged, bound and gagged in someplace far from home like Florida.

I found it interesting that on the Philadelphia channels (closest major city for news), - switched between two, the newscasters were comparing the Smart case to a few of local kidnappings of young children. Two of the victims were found dead within a few days and third, a seven year old girl (!) was held in a tenement basement wrapped in duct tape yet somehow managed to free herself and attract the attention of children playing outside the basement where she was held. Now that's a true story of heroic efforts of a child to save herself. And all this child to go back to was her mom, to virtually the same impoverished condition that she escaped from, not to the well-to-do Smart family home.

Meaning no disrespect to the Smart family; I am very greatful, too, that Elizabeth was found alive and well. But I still think something smells.

And I agree with the very sad "Laci" story - I think the husband definitely had something to do with it. Whether he kept Laci alive somewhere until she had the baby and then did something with the baby (sold the child) or he murdered her while she was still carrying the child, I think to "Laci" story will not have a happy ending. My heart goes out to Laci's ffamily.

C

cris24

They had Brian Mitchell's stepdaugher on the news this morning and she was saying she is not surprised, he thinks he is God, and probably had Elizabeth either drugged or brainwashed so she wouldn't leave. She didn't even tell the cops who she was right away when they were stopped.

ellencee

I am concerned about the rush to judge the actions of Elizabeth Smart and the comparisons to Patty Hearst.

Elizabeth Smart was a young adolescent at the time of her disappearance; Patty Hearst was a fully grown woman living life as an adult and somewhat of a 'wild-child' young adult at that.

If the account of Elizabeth Smart's disappearance, as reported by her sister, is true, then Elizabeth left with her abductor willingly and sacrificially to protect her younger sister. Sure, Elizabeth could have screamed and hopefully her parents would have rescued her, but that issue is moot.

Based on the younger sister's reporting of the events, Elizabeth left sacrificially. Do we then expect her to become aggressive and self-serving after her abduction? Is it not more in keeping with Elizabeth's initial reaction for her to have remained with her kidnapper(s) to prevent harm to herself or to others?

The brainwashing issue is not all that complicated, either. Why do young girls dress like Brittney Spears? Why do adolescents want what TV and entertainers and commercials tell them they must have to be popular? Brainwashing by any other name, such as ads, is still brainwashing. All this guy had to do was assure her she was doing what God wanted her to do by staying with him and his wife and protecting her sister and others. She stayed alive and well and no one else got hurt; she kept her end of the bargain; he kept his.

Nine months to a 14 year-old is nearly 1/20th of her entire life. For a 25 year-old person, that length of time is equal to almost a year and a half. In that length of time, people become acclimated to the life in which they find themselves. It is a very important self-preservation and defense mechanism.

I have no knowledge of what actually happened or what her actual thoughts or motives were. I am concerned over the rush to find something wrong with her having survived this length of time without having suffered some obvious physical or psychological trauma. Those very suspicions and accusations are going to cause this young girl more problems during the rest of her life than will the ordeal she has already endured or experienced.

Are we so blood-thirsty that we would be more satisfied to find that she was abused, mutilated, or killed during her captivity or during a heroic escape attempt than we are to know that mercifully this child returned home in better shape than anyone dared hope?

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Interesting article http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=13962

We should also remember the environment she grew up in. It is a much more patriarchal society than many of us are used to, and as a young female, she would have been accustomed to being relatively compliant to an adult male. She's a very lucky young lady and will hopefully be able to put this behind her.

djohnson

I'm not sure ellencee where you are getting she left sacrificially? She left under threat of her own life by accounts I have read and heard.

I agree I think there is more to this story. They had been stopped several times by police and she stuck to her same story. Not the actions of someone scarred and trying to get back home. I also agree there are alot in the actions of everyone involved that we don't know, and may never know but there is more to this one.

I had no faith that she would be found alive so I have new hope now for Laci.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">