• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

annulment or divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

makaio14

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I got married in Oct. of 2002, and realized that it was a big mistake. Our relationship was very, very rocky from the start. My husband is extremely controlling, and it got to a point where I had to decide either him or everyone else I knew.
I thought the best decision would be to settle with him, cause he was responsible with finances, and had his sh*t straight.
I've learned, very quickly, that that doesn't mean so much if there's no love (or forced love). It's a bit complicated, but I know so badly that this is all a mistake and this is not the life I want.

But because it's been only about 6 months, am I able to get an annulment? And which is more beneficial, an annulment or divorce? I read another post where one girl was concerned about her credit if she got a divorce. Does divorce hurt your credit? :(

I also have another question. I was about to send my tax return off and my husband was looking over it, and he mentioned that he was entitled to HALF of my return. This completely makes me irate, because he did not have a job for the entire year of 2002 (he lived off of inheritence, which I never saw a dime of), and this is my earnings for the year I worked. Just because we're married does that entitle him to half of my return, or because it's my return is it entirely mine?
Also, we have a joint savings account, in which he decides what any of that money in savings goes to. We each put in an equal amount of money each month for savings. With the arguements of money (and I don't like that I have no say so in what it goes towards), I opened a separate savings account in my name only, and took have of what was in the Joint account and deposited in my new account. He doesn't know yet, but when he does, is there anything he can do about that? I took only what I originally put in.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated very much.
Oh, and divorce has already come up in arguements, but I've made my mind up, but I haven't told him yet. (I'm not planning on skipping out on him or anything, I would like to do it as amicably as possible although I highly doubt it will turn up that way).
So any legal advice on what next steps I should take would be very much appreciated.
Thank you,
makaio14

B

b_crawley

joint?

If you filed a joint return, (if he has to sign your income tax form and check), then he can ask for a part of the refund as a condition for him signing it. If you can cash the refund check without his signature, then you don't have to give him a dime.

djohnson

Re: joint?

b_crawley said:
If you filed a joint return, (if he has to sign your income tax form and check), then he can ask for a part of the refund as a condition for him signing it. If you can cash the refund check without his signature, then you don't have to give him a dime.

You also may be facing legal charges so that would not be advisable. It requires both signatures for a reason. You will have to get a divorce. There are certain situations that qualify for an annulment and your is not one of them. (not many are).

Divorce alone doesn't hurt your credit. It depends on what you have gotten while married and how it is paid afterward.

M

makaio14

Thanks for the information. I've already told him that I'm getting a divorce, and it's some what of a mutual agreement.
We only rent a townhouse, and we bought some furniture together, but we've already agreed on how we're going to split our things.
It will be a no fault divorce, uncontested.

What steps do I need to start making in this? Should I contact a lawyer? We don't want to spend a lot of money on a divorce, and want to get it done as soon as possible. I've heard that in Virginia you need to be legally separated 6 months before the divorce is final if there's no children involved.
Should I go to the court house? I just don't know where to start.
:confused:

So if anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you,
makaio14

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">