• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the judge confused?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tulicchic

What is the name of your state? Texas
My soon to be ex and I went to court today to finalize divorce. We did it ourselves to save money. Everything was very amicable.
Both our kids are over 18 and not students. The judge said we need to submit form listing children. I have gone over every form I can find and can't find anything about children over 18. What does he want?

B

Boxcarbill

tulicchic said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
My soon to be ex and I went to court today to finalize divorce. We did it ourselves to save money. Everything was very amicable.
Both our kids are over 18 and not students. The judge said we need to submit form listing children. I have gone over every form I can find and can't find anything about children over 18. What does he want?
Sounds to me as though he is confused. The only thing which I can possibly think to which he may be referring is that after a divorce is granted, a form is submitted to the clerk's office which lists the name of the parties, their addresses, the minor children, date of entry of the order, the court that entered the divorce, etc. which is sent to the central registra. But, of course, in a divorce with no child under the age of 18 or otherwise entitled to support, children are not listed on that form because the were not involved in the divorce. In any event, since this form is filled out and handed to the clerk at the same time as the judicially order is handed to the clerk, the clerk would have called your attention to the need to complete this form. So I have no earthly idea what he was thinking when he said that.

B

Boxcarbill

Re: alimony?

b_crawley said:
What was done about alimony?
Most likely nothing. Alimony or separate maintenance is not a favorite under Texas law. It is the exception rather than the rule and only applies under two narrowly defined circumstances.

tulicchic

Re alimony question: Not really even a consideration in Texas. Under very rare and unusual circumstances will any kind of spousal support be given.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">