• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to divorce after living apart for 15 months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maipenrai

What is the name of your state? New York

I and my husband got married in New Mexico. I left him after 8 months of married. He lives in New Mexico still. I have moved to live with my new boyfriend in New York since Feb 18,2002.

We have been living apart for about 15 months. I haven't been talking to him in a person but I am trying to contact him about the divorce through the email. At the beginning, he said he would sign the paper under no-fault ground. I have sent the paper to him twice but he hasn't signed and sent it back to me yet.

We do not have children and properties together since it was a short married. I and my boyfriend are planning about getting married. I need the divorce but I don't know what to do. I can't contact him, he doesn't reply my email. I tried to call the house but didn't get to talk to him. Do I need to get a lawyer in this case? Can I file the paper from New York?

Any advices would be appreciated, Thank you so much:confused:

H

hopelessinCA

I would speak to a lawyer for your next course of action. You may have to have him legally served. New York state Bar has a lawyer referral and info service, www.nysba.org..Then look into Public resources section.

Also check www.divorcenet.com for resources

You may be able to file from New York provided you meet the grounds and residency requirements. It varies from state to state.

Last edited:
M

maipenrai

Thanks for your help

Thank you so much hopelessinCA for your response. I appreciated it very much. I will check out the links you gave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">