• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

valk

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
WE actually have a few problems to address.
My boyfriend and i both left our spouses 4 years ago.
He had a $200.000.00 house and a business so he was afraid of getting a divorce until he had all his ducks in a row so as time went on, he lost the business and the house and everything. Every penny we had pretty much went to his soon to be ex wife.
His health is failing and he may soon be on disibility. We haven't had enough money to get a divorce since it would cost me(as i was told from the lawyer i went to see) $2000.00 and him $2000.00. We can't seem to come up with $4000.00 to get a divorce. I even went through a state legal system to get legal help for free but was turned down. Is there any place or lawyers that will help for a discounted price or take payments or something?
thank You!

djohnson

Payments and 'something' will up to each individual attorney so unless one here wants to take it on it will be hard to answer that question. Why did legal aid turn you down? Why would it cost so much? I don't know if the spouses would contest or what your personal circumstances are but you may be able to file it yourself.

valk

That was just the price quoted to us by the attorneys.
In my case i have a house but no equity in it, 5 children and a custody fight. He still has the kids and i left with nothing.

In his case he has one son still under 18. There is no custody fight and he pays child support on his own. He had at one time filed with a lawyer and paid $1500.00 down, It has been 4 years now and he never did anything because at the time he had alot to lose and was afraid he would lose everything to her and be stuck with huge payments to her. Since it has been 4 years and didn't go through with it at the time, will he just lose that money? He never got his money back from the lawyer, just didn't pursue anything else and time got away from him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">