• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there an easier way?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hoping4thebigd

What is the name of your state? PA

ok, this is just basically going to be asking for advice. my husband and i have been separated for 4 years. we lived in different states, him in north carolina, i in pennsylvania. we do not support each other in any way whatsoever, we have one child, but we have already agreed as to what we will do with her care and expenses. now, the question is, is there an easy way to get divorced? neither one of us has the money to travel to the other one's state, he has a job he can't take the time off of and i have two other children who i need to stay with due to health problems. we don't want to be married, there is no property to divide up, there will be no contesting. we don't want to have to go through major court proceedings or anything of the nature and we'd like to do this without lawyers. we're trying to be as mature and adult about this as possible seeing as how we both want it. any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. by the way, one last quick question, is pennsylvania and/or north carolina no-fault divorce states? thank you

B

Boxcarbill

hoping4thebigd said:
What is the name of your state? PA

ok, this is just basically going to be asking for advice. my husband and i have been separated for 4 years. we lived in different states, him in north carolina, i in pennsylvania. we do not support each other in any way whatsoever, we have one child, but we have already agreed as to what we will do with her care and expenses. now, the question is, is there an easy way to get divorced? neither one of us has the money to travel to the other one's state, he has a job he can't take the time off of and i have two other children who i need to stay with due to health problems. we don't want to be married, there is no property to divide up, there will be no contesting. we don't want to have to go through major court proceedings or anything of the nature and we'd like to do this without lawyers. we're trying to be as mature and adult about this as possible seeing as how we both want it. any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. by the way, one last quick question, is pennsylvania and/or north carolina no-fault divorce states? thank you
If you don't want to hire a lawyer to do it, then you need to research out the law and decide where and how to file. You can start by looking at the state's family law codes or statutes. In the gold bar at the top of this page is "state resources." Click on that to begin your search.

R

Rldunc

In some states you can't agree to a figure for Child support, it has to be according to guidelines before a judge will sign off on it.

L

livenlearn

i'm in pa

here in pa it is a "no fault" state..... you can agree on anything and get divorced... (yes, including child support).....

the only problem is it takes FOREVER to get your decree signed by a judge... not because something's wrong with it, or they won't grant it.... but, because the judge's (in my county anyway) don't "have the time" to be signing these things more than once every 2 months or so....

do the research as far as what forms to file.... but, it seems pretty simple to me....

H

hoping4thebigd

Thank all of you for replying to my question. I've never had to deal with divorce before and I don't have the money for a lawyer to figure it all out for me. I'll definetely take the suggestions. Once again, thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">