• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated Newbie. Help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

creedsplit

What is the name of your state? VA

Myself and my wife have decided to split up. We have 2 children, one step and one biological.

We rent a home.

She is a stay home mother with no job. .

I just bought a 20000 dollar vehicle, and haven't made the first payment on it. It is totally in my name.

She want's me to leave but I am afraid she will try abandonment.

What should I do?

We have a joint Checking account that my paycheck goes into, direct deposit. Should I close it?

R

Rldunc

Don't leave. Don't leave.

Everything will be split by the courts. Get records. You need copies of financial statements. Leave some money in the account, but withdraw the rest, stop the direct deposit. Move to a different room in the house if you can. Don't leave. Don't give her any reason to call cops or have you arrested. Don't scream at her or hit her. Keep all your papers somewhere else. Continue to feed everybody, but pay cash and keep receipts. Consider that you may have to sell the new vehicle. Hope this helps, good luck!

PS: Work it out if you can, divorce is horrible

C

creedsplit

Thank you for the reply, I am trying to make it work. I don't think it will.

By myself staying in the house, that puts the ball into her court if I am not mistaken. She will have to proceed correct?

R

Rldunc

You can still file first for divorce. The question will be who is taking care of your child. At some point one of you will leave. Do as much research as you can. If you want custody of your child, (step is hers?) you need to make arrangements for daycare and all that.
To help others who may want to answer. how old are children? How long married? How long in VA? Anything bad in either parent, drugs, been in jail, reported abuse, etc?

C

creedsplit

The kids are 4(mine and hers), 9(hers and a previous boyfriend), both boys. We were married for 4 years. Virginia both of us since birth. Nothing bad. Just yelling and arguing alot between the both of us.

C

creedsplit

another question is, do we need to get a lawyer if we can agree on everything? There is not much in assets and we do not own a home. I think we can discuss child custody? Is there such a thing of not involving lawyers. I don't see wating money.

kat1963

DO NOT leave the house...as Rln has stated. This gives her the upper hand. I don't give a cats hair what she tells you, or *says* she agrees to* or even if it is signed and/or notorized!!! You do not leave unless there is a court order to do so. If she wants out so bad, tell HER to leave, but without your bio children. VA is VERY father bias. You will most likely end up being a wallet/visitor if you leave!!!!
Have you researched what you child support obligation will be? If not, got to www.childsupportguidelines.com punch in those numbers then see if you can live off of what is left over.
Your best bet is to file for custody, right NOW, then settle for joint custody with a parenting plan. Here is a link to a standard one.
http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/pplan4.htm Children need BOTH parents, not one just being a visitor.
Good Luck to you.
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">