• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital Gains On Rental Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bford2001

What is the name of your state? VA, CA

I am a Marine Corps officer retiring in VA and want to sell as my primary residence my CA home I bought in 1982. I lived in the home 82 - 85 and 88 - 91 but have rented it since then. I requested orders to CA but was unable to get back to move into the house.

I have heard that their is tax law precedence that would support an exemption from capital gains tax on this sale.

Does anyone know of a case I could cite or how I could try this approach?

abezon

It's section 121, but it doesn't help you since you have not lived in the house during the last 5 years. You'll pay capital gains taxes (max 20%) on the gain & taxes on recaptured depreciation (max 25%) on the depreciation allowed or allowable since 5/1997. If you haven't been claiming depreciation, go to a tax professional *now* and get your last 3 years' taxes amended. (1999-2001).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">